Friday, August 10, 2007

Ketchup (catch-up)

So, what's happened since July 22, my last post??

We went to Singapore, which I was really excited about because it's supposed to be incredibly clean and English-speaking, which are two things China is not. Sadly, however, our hotel (which was supposed to be really super-duper nice) was sorta run-down, dirty and ant-ridden. And our first-floor glass door to the pool area DIDN'T LOCK! Yikes...we had to booby trap that area every night in order for me to be able to sleep. That was disapointing, to say the least. But Singapore is a pretty cool place, from what I can tell. There are many rules but they do make sense. It's extremely diverse, religiously and culturally. If one particular ethnic group inhabits a certain area, anybody selling property in that area has to sell to someone who is NOT of the predominate group. That way you don't get little pockets of ethnicities and people are forced to get to know people outside of their own group. It seems to me to be a good way of preserving peace and understanding and goodwill between different peoples.

We went to the awesome zoo in Singapore, and returned for a Night Safari at the same zoo. I didn't know that like 90% of tropical animals are nocturnal, including elephants and tigers and bears (oh, my!). It was really cool - you ride around in a tram and it's quiet and dark and the animals are right there in front of you, moving around and doing animal-y type stuff. I could have reached out and touched several of them but of course we didn't do that. It was so cool! We also had a lot of fun at the resort pool and just hanging out together doing touristy stuff. It was nice.

I took a one-morning Italian cooking class with my friend Libby and sampled some of the best food I've ever eaten. Then I made one of the dishes and before serving it to the family Tim called it "Mario and Luigi Meatballs." Alex has a serious thing for the Marios Bros games and those are the two main guys in it. He now LOVES those meatballs thanks to my Genius Husband. Did I mention that Alex is my pickiest eater, perhaps the pickiest on the planet, or at least in China? Hee hee hee...

I went to Hong Kong a BUNCH of times with Ella for some doctor visits. I'm hoping she's on a good treatment program now and can stop having such a hard time with her tummy.

I applied for and almost got a preschool teaching job here but then decided I didn't want to work full-time, I'd rather stay a full-time mom, yippee!

I got my nails done, which you can do for about U.S.$10 here! Actually, I do that quite often at that price. Nothing new there.

I got a foot massage and thought my toenails were going to boil off of my feet when I stuck them into the scalding hot water they like to use. YIKES!

I read the seventh and final installment of the Harry Potter series and WHAT A GOOD BOOK! I don't know that I've ever been quite so satisfied with a book or series of books ending, and so on the edge of my seat while reading it. J.K. Rowling deserves every penny she gets from those books! Props to you, girl!

The boys had their last Chinese classes today until after school starts, which is this coming Thursday. I can't believe my little teeny preemie Andrew is a giant kindergartener already, and my peanut Alex is in 3rd grade. Ella will also start preschool and have big, full days. I hope she can handle it. I hope I can handle it!

My dad and his wife are here for a visit - our first company! They arrived a day late due to a flight cancellation. The kids are off their rockers excited about this visit and have been playing with them nonstop. They're sleeping off their jetlag as we speak, so they can be ready for more kid-level energy. They brought me Belgian chocolate from my very favorite chocolate place in the whole world (no, I've never been to Belgium...) in Appleton, Wisconsin...WILMAR'S. If you're ever within 200 miles of Appleton, GO TO WILMAR'S and get some chocolate. It's a little slice of heaven on earth. Dark chocolate caramels, two pounds, YES YES YES!

Sorry. I'm back. I'm really excited about the upcoming school year and seeing how the kids adjust to their new classes. I'm also looking forward to starting up my Chinese class again and learning more of the language.

I hope all is well and peaceful in your lives, lovely readers. School is about to start - I think many of you have little (or big) kids. I hope this is the best school year yet (keep faith, Barb!) and I also hope you decide to drop me a quick e-mail to let me know that there are still people reading this! Thanks for keeping up with us!

3 comments:

Michelle W. said...

Michelle, Of course I'm still reading!!! ( How else can I travel vicariously?) ;0)

Hmmmm, I've never been to Wilmars...guess where I'm going today...LOL!

I completely understand about not wanting to go back to work! Several times I have been 'on the verge' of applying for something, but then I just think...nope...what I'm doing here at home is infinitely more important right now. Good for you!

Isn't it amazing that the kids are so grown up! (It seems like only yesterday that Alex was a baby, I was pregnant with Joseph, and Julie and I came over for a visit....I still remember that she colored off the page on her coloring book and on to your nice table...I was mortified - LOL!)

Singapore sounds really neat,(minus the icky hotel,) and that zoo sounds great! My kids have been begging to go to a big zoo. I SO wish I could take them back to San Diego, but we'll probably have to settle for the Milwaukee zoo.

How nice that your Dad came over to visit! (And that he brought chocolate!!!) What a great guy!

I hope that all of the kids have a wonderful school year, ( and that you do too!)

Blessings,
Michelle W.

Barb said...

Michelle, thanks for the blip about keeping the faith. I am definitely trying (o;

I look forward to seeing a new posting from you everytime I get on my computer. I LOVE hearing about your daily adventures. It makes me feel connected to you and your family...I would give just about anything to have you next door again. For some reason starting over again here in Ohio seems harder this time around. I feel more isolated some how...maybe it's because we moved in the middle of the summer. I'm not sure. I know given time it will turn around once I start meeting people and getting involved in school again.

I'm glad you decided to stay at home. I've often thought about going back to work, but realize that volunteering at the kid's schools has been the best thing I could do for them as a mom. As they've gotten older you know it's been harder for me to find things to connect with them, especially Nicholas. I can't imagine not having had the experience with him and his classmates last year when we went to Tremont in the Smokies. I will never forget that time with him. You will NEVER regret that decision. I'm enjoying it while I can because Greg keeps telling me soon enough I will have to get a job to put the kids through college. Nicholas is only 4 years away...YIKES...that's not a very long time when you think about it.

Keep the blogs coming!!! Gee, I wonder how far I am from Wisconsin????? Tell your Dad if he's ever in north east Ohio to look me up and bring CHOCOLATE...tee hee....

Miss you guys like crazy...

~~Barb

Angie said...

Michelle,
I am so glad to hear that things are going well for you. I ran into your mom at Target, which is where I always see her.

Cooper had his first partial day of kindergarten at ESK this morning. He loves it there. He goes back on Monday for good. I can't believe this time is here.

Sending good thoughts your way,
Angie