Monday, August 18, 2008

Back in the China Groove

It was the first day of school on Thursday. All three kids were so excited to get back to school and see their friends. In our community, people sort of trickle back in after their summer holiday - some wait until several weeks into the school year before returning. So it's been several days of seeing friends come in and join the fun. It's been really nice. Almost everybody is back now.


Friday was our 10th wedding anniversary. 10 years seems like such a long time, number-wise - but it hasn't seemed nearly that long. It's flown by and I couldn't be any more blessed with a husband. Tim took me out to Morton's of Chicago, a wonderful steakhouse in Hong Kong. Before that we went to the lounge at the Intercontinental Hotel, which overlooks Hong Kong harbor. It's breathtaking and so nice to just sit and sip a drink. I had a lovely mango juice. It was really a nice evening. He had a private car whisk us across the border, both ways. Very sleek. Nice job, Honey!

Yesterday we went to Hong Kong, back to our church. It felt so good to get back there - I really felt at home there and the sermon was preached, I believe, specifically to me. I love it when that happens! Then we went to the Hard Rock Cafe for lunch where our waitress said "Welcome back! So nice to see you again! Would you like a Perrier, ma'am?" How cool that was - it was like "Cheers!" where everybody knows your name.

Then we went to a music store and picked out my anniversary gift. I figured now that I'm forty and been married for ten years and have three kids, it's about time I realize my lifelong dream of being a rock star. No, actually, I decided that instead of a rock for a gift, I wanted TO rock. Tim bought me a nice Fender Stratocaster, an amp and some books to learn. Started picking away last night. I'm going to have fun with this gift. And, yes, I am getting him something very special, too, but I can't tell him what it is until his 40th birthday in September. I'll let you know AFTER I let him know! Are you just ready to burst with anticipation? I am!

4 comments:

Barb said...

Love the pictures...you look absolutely beautiful and very happy! I'm glad all is well and everyone is happy to be back home. School starts for us on the 26th. Nicholas and Savanna are savoring their last lazy days of summer. Mom is still with us and struggling with her therapy, but getting through it okay. It's going to be a long healing process for her so keep her in your prayers. Give the children big HUGS from me. I miss you guys so very much. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!

heidy said...

The kids look so happy! Glad that you guys are back to your normal life! Alexa is loving high school and Markus is really liking school as well. woo woo!
Happy Anniversary! Love the pic of you and Tim!
oh oh, now the kids are going to have to practice REAL HARD on Guitar Hero...or else you're going to BLOW THEM AWAY!
cheers!

michelle said...

Happy Anniversary! (and Happy Back-to-school, too!)

What an awesome gift!
I have my mom's acoustic guitar, and I've always wanted to learn how to play it...but a Stratocaster!!!
(Pretty soon Bono won't be Alex's rock-n-roll hero.... MOM will!) ;-)

Rock on, friend!

Michelle

Unknown said...

OOOOH...I expect you to be in full "AXL ROSE" mode when next I see you! How cool!! (And will Alex try and make it his guitar? I am guessing yes!)

Happy Anniversary!!!