Sunday, April 01, 2007

Happy Palm Sunday

Yesterday we were invited to return to Hong Kong and spend the day with some associates of Tim. They met us at the ferry station and took us to a space museum (we all thought of you, Ariel!), the Avenue of the Stars (sort of like in Hollywood, but with Chinese stars), then we took the tram up to the Peak. The Peak is my favorite place to be. It looks way down on all the skyscrapers of Hong Kong and the harbor with all the ships and boats. It's a beautiful place to be during the day, and breathtaking at night. We had a wonderful dinner there and were right in front of the live music. Ella kept flirting with the singer and keyboard player, and they played a few songs for her to enjoy, like Sesame Street in a jazzed-up version and another jazzy kids' tune. It was really fun and I think they had a ball because she was so sweet and dancing and pointing and laughing with them.

We returned on the early afternoon ferry in time for me to check out the Catholic church that meets here at the school. I'm not Catholic, so communion was a big bummer, as Catholics don't let you take communion there if you're not Catholic. But, the liturgy was relatively familiar and the choir was outstanding. It was, again, a very international service. The priest, I believe, is French. The deacon is Irish, and the congregation is quite varied. I was once again struck by the worldwide fellowship of believers.

I cried all the way home. I really, really miss my church, and my support network and the fellowship I was so blessed to find there. I miss my pastor very much and my friends and people who worship like I do and who know me. This is Holy Week, and if I were in the U.S. I would be able to find a service Thursday night, Friday night and a sunrise Easter service. No such luck here; we are apparently lucky to get the part-time clergy we do get here. The Passion truly stirs me - it is a good thing to hear the story again and again. I will so very much miss it this week. Sunday will be church again, but there will not be a sunrise service, which I just love, with the trumpet blasting out "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" and people singing. I'm homesick.

I guess Sundays are going to be hard for a while no matter what.

We had a surprise this afternoon, too. Our shipment of all our things from home was to arrive tomorrow morning (Monday.) However, they apparently wanted to get it out of the way so they brought it tonight at 7:30. Who on earth delivers stuff on a Sunday night?? It was really fun trying to get the kids to bed and also to make them sleep once again in the guest bed because their beds weren't put together yet. Many tears and frustration from my poor 4-year-old. I now sit surounded by boxes upon boxes and more boxes. Tomorrow should be a fun day.

I'm thinking that since it's near midnight, perhaps I'll go to bed. It seems a shame with all the unpacking left to do, but I think I'm done for the night.

No comments: