Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Leisure Time

This week is Spring Break for the kids. I know, I know, you're asking "do these kids EVER go to school??" The answer is, well, sometimes. There are many Chinese holidays, and the International School celebrates them as well as the American ones. They do have a long school year, beginning in mid-August and going until mid-June.

Yesterday was play-day for the kids. They played all day with their friend from down the street. I took them swimming for a while, and the pool was completely empty. Our little friend (from Canada) said it's because it's winter. Winter! Ha! Ha ha ha ha HAH! It was hot and muggy and a swim was just what they needed. I like this kind of winter!

We went to the park again this afternoon. It's so easy to just walk on down and play and let the kids let off steam. I believe I only walked DOWN the stairs once today, and we took a golf cart back up. Yikes! I'm going to get out of shape this week without school forcing me to StairMaster. My sister in law asked me who needs a StairMaster when you can be Master of the Stairs! She's not kidding! I do miss my tae kwon do class, though, and could use a little punching and yelling and kicking. I found one class here but it would be myself and a bunch of elementary school kids kicking my tookus around the mats. No, thanks. I guess I'll have to take up tai chi, but it doesn't seem nearly as fun.

At noon we met Tim at his office and went out to eat with his coworkers. I was nervous about the kids eating because we went to a Chinese restaurant (well, duh!) but they really did great, trying stuff and liking some of it very much. It was delicious! One of the best Chinese meals we've had here. We had stewed chicken with ginger; spicy beef with bean sprouts; bok choy; fried rice; eggs with ham, peppers and onion; noodles with broth and vegetables; tofu with sausage; scallops on the shell with garlic; deep-fried ribs; herb soup; and orange slices. We also had a really nice time with Tim's coworkers.

Afterwards, I met with his office manager to work on putting together a Conversational English and American Culture class for any employees who wish to take it. They are very interested in getting English practice and learning about American culture. This seems like a really big job with American culture being as varied as it is. I'm really looking forward to working with them and finding little tidbits to add to the class.

It's been really nice, having this extra family time together to make our transition easier. We're hoping to fill the kids' hearts with many sweet memories to go along with their "I can't BELIEVE you did this to us!" memories of beginning our life here. So, tomorrow we head to Hong Kong Disneyland for more together-time. The ferry, the subway, the Buzz Lightyear - what a wonderful way to spend Wednesday together!

I do have a quick favor for you, readers. Please, right now, say a quick prayer for Katie's pain to ease and for comfort for her and her family. Thanks!

Zai jian!

1 comment:

middleofnowhere said...

Hi Tim, Michelle, Alex, Andrew and Ella, finaly I am getting with the program. My heart ached when I read your blog. Your sense of humor and faith is certainly keeping you lifted up. Not to mention awesome thighs and buns! Life getting in the way of life is my only excuse for not tracking down your blog sooner. It does take almost two minutes to get from screen to screen. I have taken to dragging my laptown into town to find 'hot spots' so I can down load tax updates.

Know that you have all been in our hearts and prayers. Love Jo and Dad