Thursday, March 15, 2007

If Only I'd Have Known

Our things should be arriving via the ocean in a few weeks. I definetly WON'T be needing the treadmill, and I wish I would have known that ahead of time.

Here are some other things I wish I would have known ahead of time:

You can't buy deodorant in China.
You can't buy good ice cream in China.
You can't buy English-language books in China. Right now even a trashy novel would be refreshing.
You can't buy toddler beds in China.
You can't return stuff to stores in China.
Starbucks doesn't carry their strawberries & cream frappuccino in China. Or any of the good pastries.
You really do need sunscreen in southern China in March. And shorts and tank tops and sandals.
"Skinny" jeans should not be thrown away in moments of despair.
Clothes are made for people thinner and taller than we (my family) are - even kids' clothes.
You really do need to learn to speak or at least understand Mandarin in China - English isn't going to cut it in everyday life.


Stuff I'm glad I found out:
You CAN buy good cosmetics in Hong Kong, and my favorite hair products are available in China.
The world is much smaller than you may think it is.
There are good, kind and friendly people everywhere.
My mom is still the best mom in the world, even half a world away.
I have some really, really good friends.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Michelle...

Wow! It really does sound so disorienting to go shopping there... and I complain about having to grocery shop here. At least I can speak the language and get what I want!! I know it will get easier soon. I hope it gets smoother for you and the kids. We miss you all and I look for Alex whenever Sunday school is about to start.
I bet Disneyland was a blast! I know that was a great treat for the boys and Ella.
Please send our love to the kiddos and a big howdy to Alex from Aron. Take care!!
Meredith