Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Wal-mart: We're Not In Kansas Anymore, Toto

Well, going to Wal-Mart is really a trip here in China. It's so different. When you go in, there are these little tiny shopping carts and you ride up a sort of slanted moving sidewalk - not an escalator because there are no stairs (because of the carts). These conveyor belts are magnetized so the carts stick, and they take you upstairs to the non-food floor. I tried to buy a little TV for our ayi's room but since nobody speaks English, I had a tough time finding what I needed. I also checked out a stroller for my friend, but all the strollers were chained to a high shelf so you could SEE them, but not check them out physically without asking for help. Tough to ask for help when you don't speak Mandarin. No stroller and no TV later, I headed to the little boys' clothing where I tried to find some pants for Andrew. All the sizes here are in centimeters, not the good old 2-4-5/6, etc. Most of the boys' pants had this weird Harry Potter logo sewn all over them and weird embroidery designs. No just plain old khakis or jeans, except one normal jeans style. So I finally figured out what size he should wear and, lo and behold, there are completely out of his size in the normal jeans. I found one pair of the right size but they were SEWN onto the display rack, so again, I had to get help. The woman acted like she was going to get help or ask if she could remove the sewn-on display, but she never came back. No TV, no stroller, no pants.

Down to the food section on the sticky, stinky escalator-mabob. Many stares and pointing along the way : )

Any meat products or produce needs to be weighed at a different station and you get a sticker for what you bought on the bag. If you don't get them weighed at the right station, you can't check out. Period. Since I assume they were telling me I had to go to a different weigh station for my bananas when I got my rice balls weighed, I spent a lot of time wandering around the meat and produce sections.

By the way, they don't refrigerate the eggs in China. Creeps me out. They also have the chicken eggs, which are usually dirty, right by the duck eggs, quail eggs, and various other fowl eggs. Sittin' on a shelf, waiting for bird flu or salmonella or whatever.

Well, I finally got a cartful of goodies and headed to checkout. I always attract an audience, especially when I'm trying to ask for help. The woman didn't want to accept my card, but she finally went over to a different register and came back with a receipt for me to sign. When I signed it, she looked at it for a LOOOOOOONG time before handing my card and receipt back.

Finally got out of there, without the chicken nuggets or frozen pizza. No such luck finding those things in China. I can get them, as well as Haagen Dasz and Ben N Jerry's in Hong Kong, but since it takes a long time to get to and from Hong Kong, all I can do is dream about frozen pizza and chicken nuggets and yummy ice cream.

I know, I know, I'm lucky as can be that I can afford to buy food to feed my family, and some import items that make us feel normal. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm lucky as can be.

I used to hate going to Wal-Mart. I was a Target Girl. But now, I am starting to really miss Wal-Martin' in the U.S.A.

No comments: