Thursday, March 01, 2007

School Time

Yesterday was the first day of school for the boys. Unfortunately, Tim's alarm clock kept losing time all night so when we thought it was 5:30 it was actually 7:00. Luckily we had just enough time to shower and get them down the hill to meet their teachers.

They were both very excited and Alex was very nervous. Both their teachers were very sweet and happy to see them. Alex was assigned a buddy to show him around, and his teacher said he just sort of slid right in. Andrew seems to have done the same, though I didn't get as much chance to talk with his teacher. It was a bit crazy at pick-up time.

If you live in the school neighborhood, you have to go home for lunch; preschool is off 11:30-1 and primary from 12-1. I really like this idea - I get a nice midday report from the boys, it's a lot less stressful than lunchtime at a school, and they get exercise coming home and going back (and so do I!!) Tim went down to pick up Andrew for lunch and headed back down for Alex. Alex, meanwhile, got out a bit early and cruised up the hill, asked a security guard for directions and showed up at our door. It was a bit unnerving to have him show up at home alone, but he did just fine. He's getting so very big! I told him where to wait from now on so he doesn't miss us when we pick him up.

Both boys seemed to really enjoy their day and were all set to go back for more. I think Alex is going to do great here - there is more homework and I think he will be challenged more, which he needs. I think Andrew will do just great having some other kids his level to play with, instead of older kids ordering him around.

My baby was upset because she saw the little kids playing outside - she wanted to be in school, too! Her class is unfortunately full. We had planned on getting her into a Chinese preschool, but are changing our thinking after talking to the Director of Admissions for the boys' school. Apparently the bilingual thing works best when the native language is mastered first. With her significant language delay, I think she is still working hard on getting the hang of English. I'm thinking she doesn't need the further confusion of an additional language to deal with. So, in fall she'll start at the same school the boys go to. That will make things easier anyhow.

My next task is to find a domestic helper. Domestic help is very cheap over here, and I haven't met anyone who doesn't have help around the home. That will be my goal next week, now that the boys and Tim will be into a nice, normal routine. I also want to find a tae kwon do class for English-speaking moms such as myself, and maybe guiar lessons for my rock star son.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.