Monday, September 03, 2007

Blah...

I haven't written much lately because I've been a tad negative about my current living situation and the country I am in. I'm homesick and I'm lonely and I'm missing what our lives used to be, even if I was at times frustrated then. At least I understood the culture, to an extent (considering it was the south and I grew up in the north - trust me, there are some cultural differences). and was able to speak the same language (again, north vs. south - there are differences). I could rely on stores to stand behind their products or at least accept returns. I could rely on my own abilitly to navigate through life without having to rely on someone else to drive me around or speak for me.

On the other hand, Tim is certainly home more often, and with domestic help, when he does travel, things are MUCH easier. Which makes me lazier, too...good or bad? We're meeting people from all over the world, whom we would never have met back home. I don't have to watch the whole political circus and the spin doctors' version of the truth as the '08 election "draws near". But I do know the news I get may not contain much truth here, either.

While I am not proud of some major historical events which made my country what it is, I am horrifed as I learn more about this country's history and the things that happened here not too long ago. Horrified.

While I wish the boys still had their old friends from home, I'm watching them learn to navigate socially in a whole new way. And I'm appreciating that we're getting closer as a family.

While I wish I could easily get to a church that is spiritually renewing and open to anyone, I am certainly learning to appreciate the glorious freedom we have back home.

2 comments:

heidy said...

wow Michelle....I can't even imagine how things must be for you now. But I think its wondeful that you can find a positive for each negative. And, having your family grow even closer and having Tim around most of the time is priceless......
heidy

Gretchen said...

Hey Michelle--
I hear you loud and clear! We just moved to B'ham, AL on August 22nd and so are doing all the adjusting a family does when a move occurs. The culture/language issues are really heavy duty adjustments to deal with! Nothing like character building--only why does it have to be so uncomfortable!?! We'll raise up some extra thoughts and prayers in your direction!
Gretchen