Sunday, September 23, 2007

Home is where the heart is

We accepted an offer on our house back in the U.S. this past week. So, I guess that means we REALLY have moved to China. I'm a bit sad to not be a part of that neighborhood anymore, especially with such great neighbors as Heidy and family and the Lins! But, this will save us a lot of hassle with trying to maintain a home and yard from the other side of the world. Perhaps we'll get back into that neighborhood when we return from the Orient, whenever that may be.

My mom and her husband Wayne are visiting us for the past few weeks. We are having such a great time!! They lived about 15 minutes away back home so it's been a big adjustment not to have them close anymore. But having them here is like another little piece of "home" for us.

We went to Macau this past weekend and stayed at a really, really, really nice hotel, which was such a relief after the sub-par Asian hotels we've thus far experienced (except Japan, of course!) We did a nice historical tour and some fun shopping there, and ate some great food. We also went with our dear friends from Hong Kong, who have become family to us here.

On Tuesday we plan to take a tour of Shenzhen with a native - there aren't many native Shenzheners, as 20 years ago it was just a little fishing village. The government made it a Special Economic Zone, and opened it up to foreign businesses. Most people who live here moved in after that happened. It is now a booming city of 12 million people, and very modern. We will be visiting some outlying villages that remain more traditional Chinese and far less modern. I am looking forward to getting a more in-depth look at the history and culture that surrounds me here.

It's been a while since I've made it to church and today I missed it again. It takes a lot of effort to get there. We have to get to the ferry station at least 30 minutes before the ferry leaves to purchase tickets, get through customs, and get everyone onto the ferry. Then the ferry ride is one hour and costs about $50 to get everybody there. Once we get to Hong Kong, we go through customs once again, sometimes with LONG lines, and then we walk to the church. Church is about a 15-20 minute walk, depending on dawdling toddlers and traffic. It's a big process to get there, about 2.5 hours total, and once there we really enjoy it. Hopefully we'll make it next weekend because even with my mom here I am missing church fiercely when we don't go. I miss my home church very much, though I've now found out a dear friend (a whole family of dear friends!) from my home church has moved out of state. Knoxville will sorely miss the Sextons!

This is rambling a bunch - so much has happened since my last post and it all seems a bit muddy in my head. I'm starting to re-adjust to living here and accept the things that have been driving me nuts. I don't hate it here anymore, and my longing to move to Hong Kong is starting to subside as I realize I'm going to have adjustments and issues and culture shock no matter where we go, even in the southern U.S.! I am missing my friends but as Christmas approaches I know I'll see them in just a few months. Well, the ones in Knoxville, at least! Don't know when I'll see my dear Wisconsin friends, and some of you I've never even met in person! Regardless, I am doing better as I get used to things a bit more here, and I'm learning more Chinese so I can communicate a bit better. A very little bit, but more than I could before. I am certainly appreciating what we have here and how blessed I am with my kids and my dear husband. How lucky I am, no matter where I go, to have them all by my side.

4 comments:

heidy said...

Michelle!
I was so happy to be able to read one of your blogs again! YOU sound happy. How wonderfu to have your mom and Wayne there, I know you've been waiting a long time! ENJOY EVERY MINUTE YOU HAVE TOGETHER! and think, Christmas is only 3 short months away!
heidy

Michelle W. said...

Michelle,
I'm SO glad that you have been feeling better (less home-sick) and that your mom and Wayne could come visit you. It must be SO nice to have them there!

Congratulations on the offer on your house. I know how much you loved that house - I hope you can find one just like it when you return!

Are you coming home for Christmas?! You must e so excited. I sure do wish we could come down and see you...I'm still working on Paul to get to TN one of these years....(Heck, I still want to MOVE there! I've had enough of these cold winters!) ;-)

It sounds like quite a long trek for you to get to church, but I know that the spiritual renewal that you can get from being with other Believers is SO worth it! (When we lived in CA, our church was practically on the Mexican border, and it was over an hour's drive each way....but...it was worth it because it felt like 'home' worshiping there.)

It sounds like you are having fun touring, seeing the sights and making new friends. I pray that many more HAPPY days come your way, and that you find peace and contentment with where God has planted you for the time being.

Take Care & God Bless,
Michelle W.

Michelle said...

Michelle W,
Have I told you that you totally rock?
Michelle B

Michelle W. said...

So do YOU, my friend! :-)

By the way...I just wanted to share a really cool blog that I came across.
It's by another homeschooler - But she's living in CHINA!(and...she said it was okay to share her blog address with you!)

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Jimmie

Blessings,
Michelle W