Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

Today is Thanksgiving but in China it's just another Thursday. School, work, all of that. And it's also really hot so it certainly doesn't FEEL like Thanksgiving! We are going to celebrate with our very dear Hong Kong friends and our neighbors from the U.S. on Saturday. I think it will be our Hong Kong friends' first Thanksgiving - and in a way it carries on the tradition nicely - I don't know how we would have survived this move across the ocean to the New Old World without them!

We have a turkey on order, and we're going to have cranberries, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, pumpkin cheesecake, pecan pie, right down to the little sweet pickles and olives my Grandma used to serve on big feast days (well, not the SAME pickles and olives...new ones)! I am really looking forward to this!

I've been test messaging "Happy Thanksgiving!" all my friends here from the U.S. and it's been such a treat to see a U.S. person and be able to say "Happy Thanksgiving!" to someone it means something to. The things we learn to be thankful for...someone who can identify with our culture is a treat here!

I know that I am certainly thankful for things I never thought much about, and I remain thankful for some things I could not do without - the love and support of my family and my friends, near and far. Thank YOU for your love, support and encouragement. I hope you enjoy your turkey with your loved ones today.

"O God, when I have food,
help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work,
help me to remember the jobless;
When I have a home,
help me to remember those who have no home at all;
When I am without pain,
help me to remember those who suffer,
And remembering,
help me to destroy my complacency;
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help;
By word and deed,
those who cry out for what we take for granted.
Amen."
(Samuel F. Pugh)

4 comments:

heidy said...

MICHELLE!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY! Enjoy your feast! We just got back from Rays brothers in VA. Had a wonderful time! Tonight I'm taking Alexa and her best friend to see Hannah Montana! Should be fun! Wow, happy 3rd birthday Ella! When are you headed to the states?
take care and I'll "talk" with you soon!
heidy

Beth said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Hope the turkey was yummy :)

beth

Michelle W. said...

Happy Thanksgiving Michelle!
(And Happy Belated Birthday to Ella!)

Well...guess what?!?!
I think I might just have Paul convinced about Tennessee! (We spent a whole day 'scoping out' the Murfreesboro area near Nashville.
One of these days I'll probably email you with a million questions (if you don't mind.) :-)

We aren't going to make any decisions until Spring, but keep us in your prayers!

I hope you had a wonderful , relaxing Thanksgiving!
Your meal sounded awesome!

Michelle W.

Barb said...

Happy be-lated Thanksgiving to you and the bunch! My uncle, mom and my uncle's wife arrived the Saturday after Thanksgiving for a visit and we've had an absolute wonderful time together so far. They fly back to Richmond with my mom tomorrow evening and then they are off to Florida for 2 weeks before they head back to Germany. I will miss having them around. Take care! ~~Barb