Thursday, December 13, 2007

Sweet Home Tennessee

Well, I am back in the US of A and it feels pretty good! The first thing that struck me when I walked in to the Newark airport is how DIVERSE this country is! In China, everybody basically has the same color hair and similar skin. There are many differences within that, of course, but here everybody looks so different. It's beautiful to see! And, everybody seems so nice here, right down to the cashier at Kroger's! It's wonderful to be wished a "Merry Christmas" and have people really mean it. In China, while Christmas is capitalized on as a way to make money and have fun, the true meaning gets missed or never even thought of in the first place. I don't say this about Hong Kong, where Christianity is just fine and they "do it up real nice." A few days ago, in China, it sure didn't feel like Christmas was coming. Here, I can feel it, smell it in the air and see it in smiles.

Walking through Target, I also was struck by how rich we are as a nation. All the space, all the beautiful packaging, all the parking spaces. Next time you get annoyed by having to go to Target, trying not being able to go for 10 months.

We are all jet-lagged and I am especially looking forward to sleeping tonight. I will post more as the weeks fly by.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
I am so happy that you made safely. I am sorry that I have not posted more often. I have tried to send email, but I am not sure I have the right address. I would love to see you while you are here. Please let me know if you have time. I have MISSED YOU!
Angie

Beth said...

Didn't know you were going home for the holidays! Welcome home! I know what you all are feeling right now. Enjoy the selection, the diversity (in many things, not just people), the language, the non-attention, just enjoy it all.

beth