Sunday, May 11, 2008

Again, Happy Mother's Day to all you moms...

Today we went to Hong Kong for my Mother's Day. Had an excellent church service, with communion and everything! Then we went to the Hard Rock Cafe for my Mother's Day Rockin' Lunch. It was fun and everybody ate well...it was nice to be back there. They have this pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw and baked beans....aaaaaahhhhh, it's a little slice of American paradise right smack dab in Asia. Very nice.

Did some shopping and picked up Tim's beautiful new suits. Took a cab home and had a quiet evening here. Great Mother's Day!

This morning we took a ferry to get there - they have started using these little old ferries that they normally use for the airport to go to the part of Hong Kong where our church is...last I heard, they were going to cancel our Sunday ferry altogether, so I was glad to have a ride to church! Well, this particular ferry had an interesting bathroom. I am sure you've heard of Asia's famous "squatty potties" which are basically a hole in the floor. Rarely do the bathrooms here have toilet paper or soap, but they have water and a bathroom attendant to "clean up" (with what, though???). To make things even ickier, people don't flush their paper here, the put it into the wastebasket that is in every bathroom. Gets a bit smelly really quickly. Anywho, this was a squatter, but it was a squatter on a BOAT so I looked down and saw water rushing under me. Nice to find out just how clean the Hong Kong harbor really is....ick. It did have tp, which was a nice touch, but no wastebasket and no, no soap. Luckily one learns quickly to carry tissues, gel and wipes wherever you go! It was one of my more interesting Asian potty experiences...

So, we start our week. This weekend our Women's Club is hosting a James Bond-themed end of the year party ("License to Chill"...very cool) but I don't think I can find anything to wear on such short notice. Probably we'll have to skip it, although Tim would look so handsome in his new suit! We'll see...have a lovely week!

5 comments:

Barb said...

Oh, Michelle, how do you deal with the potty situation...YUCK...I would be totally losing it. I was complaining about having to pay to potty in Germany...guess there are worse things, huh?

Your Mother's Day celebration sounds nice. We are just chilling around the house today. My children are sleeping in, Greg is working as usual and I'm catching up on e-mails and such.

Love the first born pictures...too sweet. I might have to get the birth videos out today and watch them.

Miss you guys so very much!

heidy said...

ICK! It's always SO interesting to read your blogs!
My mom and dad are here for the weekend...its been really great, haven't spent a mom's day with my mom in quite a while!
love those precious newborn pics!

michelle said...

Eeeew!
Your potty stories are actually quite terrifying! To me the potty at Wal-Mart is bad enough...I cannot even imagine a 'squatty potty!' :-p

Happy Belated Mother's day, though! Those newborn photos are precious!

Blessings,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

You are so brave! I recall when I was about 8 years old and having the choice of using the outhouse at the rest stop or hold it another 2 hours. My response was I will hold it.

As for the party. Don't you have a gold bikini to wear? Ha, Ha!

Can't wait to see you!

Greta

Beth said...

Oh my gosh! Can I just say how much I HATE HATE HATE squattie potties!!!!!! Imagine doing it while pregnant. Seriously. NOT fun. Ick all the way on the straight into the harbor, though.

beth