Monday, May 19, 2008

Foot in Mouth Disease

China is lately freaking out over some supposedly super-virulent strain of Hand Food and Mouth Disease - so far I think 34 children have died from it, and it's quite widespread. They closed all the public pools in our city, and even at our school, swimming is being postponed as part of the PE program until the panic calms down.

So this morning Ella started scratching her hand and complaining about itching. I looked and, sure enough, there were a few little blisters there. She also felt feverish and was tired. So, I took her to the doctor right away this morning to get her checked out.

The doctor blames the media for the panic. She also talked about how common this illness is in the States and in Australia, where she's lived and doctored (Australia), and how kids do not die from it there. She said she doesn't know what those children died from but it wasn't hand foot and mouth disease. Her theory is that it's possibly some Chinese herbal remedy gone wrong, or maybe dehydration. She said Ella's case is very mild but to keep her home from school until the blisters go away. When I asked her about the boys she said that, ideally, infected kids should stay away from other kids. She said "Well, I'll tell you to keep them separate, but good luck with that." She figured they're probably already immune to it or else they'll pick it up but she wasn't especially worried. She made me feel so much better! So, now you have the rest of the story about the China Childrens' Virus, at least according to my lovely and talented doctor.

6 comments:

heidy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heidy said...

So glad to hear that there isn't anything to worry about!
The media seems to blow things out of proprtion all over the world.
heidy
(I had some major typo's in my last comment, so I deleted it!)

michelle said...

Yep - It's really common here!
I can't even tell you how many cases I saw as a preschool/ kindergarten teacher, (and yes...I caught it too!)

It was considered pretty harmless.
The worst part of it is you get a very sore throat, and the blisters can be quite painful for a few days.

Also - It is dangerous for pregnant women(actually the unborn child)...so you should keep Ella away from any friends that might be expecting.

I hope she feels better soon!

Michelle

Barb said...

I'm so glad you have a sensible doctor...makes all the difference in the world, doesn't it? I hope she recoups quickly.

Unknown said...

Oh hope she feels better soon!!! No worries...she'll be good as new soon.

Unknown said...

Oh hope she feels better soon!!! No worries...she'll be good as new soon.