Saturday, September 09, 2006

What to bring...

I am starting to look around my kitchen and wonder what I'll be needing in Shenzhen. For instance, do we bring the coffeemaker? The only coffee we got when we visited was instant...do they SELL coffee? Do I bring my springform pan...do they sell cream cheese? What about cake pans...I make very cool character cakes and birthday cakes. But do they sell cake mixes? I've been told that few people have actual ovens there. Mostly they have a cooktop and a rice steamer to prepare food. What about our dishes, baking tools, etc.? Would it be easier to just buy stuff there? All kinds of little things to find out, I guess. Pots, pans, baking pans...I think the kitchen will be hardest to pack since that is the thing that will be the most different (and probably the most missed room, in my case!) And my big, beautiful mixer - will there be any use for it? Any SPACE for it? I use my mixer often for cookies, cakes, cheesecakes, icing, even pancakes sometimes. Speaking of pancakes, what about my griddle? Probably not...no need to stress out the electricity. But I WILL bring my griddle pan so I can make the kids pancakes sometimes. The food is really going to be a challenge, I think!

I'm hoping we can bring the kids' beds and dressers. We are thinking it will provide them with some continuity that this is now "home" and their stuff is still here and they can still sleep in their beds. We'd LOVE to bring our bed, too, but it's a king size and space is really at a premium in China. Probably wouldn't fit.

Both boys have asked if we can still live in our house when we get back; this is making me SAD because it seems so important to them right now. But, we think it would be WAY less hassle to just sell it and store whatever we don't take along or get rid of. I know we won't be the same when we return - we will probably be content with less space and less yard. So, I suppose we'll be sprucing it up to sell in the next few months.

Six more months...

No comments: