Sunday, June 01, 2008

The Whining Zone

And what an...uh, exciting...week it has been! Tim left for the U.S. on Monday and is enroute back home to us right now - he's just flying over Mongolia, it looks like. Let me just say I am so happy I have help in the house, especially at suppertime! Domestic help is not only desired and expected and perfectly normal here, it's also necessary, believe it or not. Everything here gets so much dirtier so much more quickly here - must be due to all the pollution in the air and water, but if my floor is washed one day, it will be black again by the next day, and we don't wear shoes in the house! Even my Chinese friend who moved to the U.S. has commented on how you really don't need help there like you do here because you don't have to clean so much there! You need to spend a LOT more time cleaning in China (that would be a figurative "you"...meaning "Somebody Else"...)
On Tuesday I had a PSA meeting - this coming year I will be on the board for our school's Parent Support Association. Later that afternoon, I had lunch with some friends. During this time I felt sort of yucky...sore throat, a bit of a headache. Well, by mid-afternoon I had a screamin' headache, a really bad sore throat and even my skin hurt - I was really sick! Turns out I had tonsilitis, and it pretty much knocked me down for three days. Again, I am SO GLAD to have domestic help here because with Tim gone that would NOT have been fun...at all. It still wasn't fun...
Then on Thursday I still had to fulfill a cake order for a friend. This friend has ordered 2 cakes from me in the past and both times I had to cancel the day before due to some emergency or another...I couldn't cancel this time! So I got that done...and then slept some more!
Friday morning (I kept thinking I'd feel better "tomorrow" but...) I had another obligation I couldn't cancel - Ella was asked to model again and this time she wanted to. I couldn't cancel on her agent the day of the shoot so we went to that. Luckily it was a pretty short one and we were home in time to take a nice nap together. Still feeling pretty sick...
Saturday morning I FINALLY felt better - yippee! That was such a relief. Especially since domestic helpers have Sundays off and I really wanted to be healthy by today. Thank you, Auntie Biotix!
I was able to take Andrew to soccer...in the rain because it's the rainy season here...and then to his end-of-the-season soccer banquet. We had a nice time together and spent the day hanging around the house, playing and still taking it easy.
Today we made it to church here in the neighborhood. After church the kids were playing on the playground and I noticed Andrew itching away. There are many mosquitoes and horrible little black bugs that bite and ITCH for weeks here. There are also these poison caterpillars that give you a huge, itchy, bumpy red rash that makes you miserable. Guess which bug bit Andrew? Yep, the caterpillar...he was swelling up and bumpy and red and itchy...poor little guy! We got him home on a golf cart, slathered on the calamine lotion and popped a Benadryl into him. He had a little pizza picnic on the couch (way against the rules, usually) and some Cartoon Network. Now he's good as new, just a little pinker than normal thanks to the calamine.

OK, so I know this week will be exciting, too...after all, I will be turning FORTY on Wednesday. How much more exciting can life get than that? Hopefully it will be a healthy week for us, I know we will be so happy to have Tim back home. And in a mere 19 days we will be heading back home for a visit...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I feel your pain!! Hang in there...I'm glad you are feeling better and that Tim is coming home. 19days!!! I hope you'll be here for a good long visit!!

Wednesday is the first day of the BEST of your life!! (So hokey, I know. I am just trying to be really positive about 40 this year myself!!)

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
I am so sorry that you were sick, but I am thrilled that you are better. Cooper will be so excited when I tell him in the morning that you will be here soon. He seems to miss Andrew more now that school is out. I too hope that it is a long visit.

About the forty thing. Been there done that last year. Believe it or not I feel better now then I did when I turned thirty five. Just think of how great we look for forty.

Can't wait to see you,
Angie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Michelle. I am so proud of you! It's been a joy being your mom. Thanks for 40 years of wonderful times and 3 wonderful grandkids! Wayne and I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks. Mom Now where did all that lipstick go....

heidy said...

rWhew! sounds like you've had a rouh time of it lately...sure glad that you are back to a picture of health! and that Andrews feeling better as well...aahhh...40...piece of cake! I did it 3 YEARS AGO!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!
Markus will be 12 on Thursday!
We are at this amazing resort called Portofino Island..its in the panhandle of FL. having a wonderful time!
have a safe trip back to the US!

Barb said...

Happy Birthday, Michelle! Welcome to the club. No words of wisdom from me...I didn't handle turning 40 well, but it's not been so bad being 40 something. Glad you are feeling better, Andrew too! I know you are looking forward to going home. Hopefully we can make it there for a visit while you are still there. Call me when you arrive and get settled. We are off to the Outer Banks for a week on Friday...can't wait.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Michelle!!!!

You make forty look like the new 20!!!

Have a great day!!

michelle said...

Happy (belated) Birthday Michelle!!!

(Oh man - I had meant to come here yesterday, but then Katie had her big dr appt. yesterday and my mind just 'blanked' after that. I'm SO sorry!)

I pray that you had a wonderful 40th birthday! (Even if it was 'quiet' over there again) :-S

Did you make yourself one of your awesome cakes?!! We'll have to have a big party when you come back to the U.S.! ;-)
Are you coming this way?!?!
I'll break out the pink flamingo lawn decorations. :-)

Happy Birthday, Friend!
Michelle