Thursday, July 24, 2008

Rural Life

Today Tim and I had a little date at the local internet cafe. My dad and his wife's house isn't wired for any decent, efficient internet connection - they live too far out in the boondocks for that kind of technology. So, we had a very relaxing morning sipping coffee and getting all our internet stuff taken care of. While we were there, Grandma Jo took the kids raspberry picking and out for a nice lunch.
This afternoon, Grandpa Bob, Tim and I took the kids out fishing for trout at a local fish farm. They caught 4 big fish for supper tonight.

So, for supper we had fish we caught ourselves, vegetables grown in Grandma and Grandpa's back yard, and fresh raspberry pie, picked by the kids and Grandma. Grandpa Bob claimed to have picked the noodles in the noodle patch but I don't think the kids believed him. It was very cool, however, that the bulk of our meal (including yummy dessert) was obtained using our own hands and the local bounty of the land.

It's also been very quiet and relaxing, not being tied to the internet or to my mobile phone...no mobile phone service for me unless I stand in one particular spot on the back deck and don't move at all. I've been cut off several times even using that special position. While it's a bit stressful to not be connected, it's also quite relaxing to not be connected!

1 comment:

heidy said...

Sounds like HEAVEN!