Sunday, July 20, 2008

Vacation

We are in Madison, Wisconsin to visit Tim's mom. I came here for the first time in 1987 to visit some friends and fell completely in love with the city. People say New York City has a special energy about it - and I agree - but Madison has this incredible, laid-back, unassuming feel to it that just felt like paradise the first time I came here. State Street has changed a lot - it's a pedestrian street filled with funky shops and restaurants and bars that leads from the Univeristy of Wisconsin (my alma mater) to the beautiful State Capitol. The shops have changed - some are still the same - but the feel is still there. Freedom of expression is valued and so is pursuit of knowledge and life experience. Many outdoorsey-naturey-adventureous types milling about in comfortable shoes, tye-dyes and dreadlocks. It's not uncommon to see tattoos, piercings and politically-charged stickers and t-shirts all over the place. I remember when I was just out of college, it wasn't a question of WHETHER to get a tattoo so much as WHAT to get for a tattoo. Madison is unlike any other place I've ever lived. I lived here for as long as I could out of college, until Tim got a job when he graduated and we had to move. It's good to be home.

Next we'll be heading to the Wisconsin Dells for a retreat at an indoor water park, then up to northern Wisconsin to visit my dad for a few days.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Sounds like a very neat place! I'm so glad you guys are enjoying your visit so much. Tell the in-laws Hello from me! Give the children HUGS and KISSES from me too!!!!!

heidy said...

Wow! Sounds like a cool place! Keep having fun and maybe we'll get to see you before you head home....

Unknown said...

Okay. Having piqued my curiosity, I must now ask...do YOU have a tattoo?????