Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I'd like to thank my fellow expats...

Yesterday morning, the workers came...

For the past year (almost...February 18) I have been battling my oven. I turn it on, it gets hot, then hotter, then hotter. It doesn't stop getting hotter! I've burned cookies, had cakes half-burned and half-mushy, and had cheesecakes turn into sad little blobs of muck. It's been frustrating, to say the least.
My wonderful Chinese friends heard about my dilemma and wrote a letter, in Chinese, to the management of our neighborhood. These guys are electrical engineers and they wrote about how the sensor is broken and what to do about it - two pages of details! The worker guy came in - this was maybe last July or so - and looked at the paper and laughed. He turned the oven on. My oven got hot (duh). He turned it off - it got cool. You turn it on, it gets hot, you turn it off, it gets cold...mei wenti (NO PROBLEM) he says! You must understand that the Chinese don't use ovens - they use a rice steamer and a cooktop or single burner. That's it - probably due to lack of space, prohibitive costs, and electrical costs, too. That's fine. But I need my oven to be at 350 when I ask it to be! He didn't understand my needs, and, quite frankly, I don't think he understood what a sensor on an oven is!

A few weeks ago my neighbor was on a vacation with some other women from the neighborhood. One of them was talking about this ridiculous oven she used to have in her house. Yeah, you guessed it: you turn it on, it keeps getting hotter and hotter and hotter! Her oven ended up in my house! I asked her how she got a new one and she told me about a friend with a fine oven who had just moved out - the management just switched them around, no problem. She called me again last week, having remembered that a friend of ours had moved back to the States and her home was still vacant, and - ta -dah! - her oven was FINE.

So, I called my management company and said I wanted that particular oven. My liaison said she would check on it but I was coached by people who have lived here a while to be persisitent and a bit insistent. So I was.

Yesterday, the workers came. They gave me Christine's old oven and took mine away, to be put into the home of some other unsuspecting expat. I turned my new oven on - I had two cakes to bake! - to 350. I checked it with my oven thermometer a half hour later, and it said - YES! - 350. Then I turned it down to 325 to make another cake. A half hour later and it was STILL 325. The whole time! Constant! My beautiful, new oven! Look out, China, here come some even better cakes!

THANKS, NICOLE!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad it finally got fixed!!!! That must have driven you crazy!

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! Good for you!

Happy baking and keep those cake photos coming. I love seeing your cakes! ;-)

Michelle W

heidy said...

I smiled (and laughed at some parts) of this post of your blog!
SO HAPPY THAT YOU HAVE AN OVEN THAT WORKS THE WAY OVENS ARE SUPPOSE TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
heidy

Barb said...

Isn't it amazing how easy life can be when you have the right supplies and your appliances work the way they were intended to work! Good for you for being on top of it and obtaining what you needed...

Beth said...

Good for you! I'm so happy you have an oven that works. My Korean friends were amazed that I had an oven, knew how to use and--gasp--used it! Even if they happened to have an oven (which most didn't), they never turned it on and wouldn't know what to do with it if they did. Crazy. I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the cakes you've produced given your oven's, er, temperature issues. Happy baking!

beth