Saturday, January 12, 2008

Put your backbone back!

Today I did something I've been putting off for a few years now. With all my cake orders and people wanting real cakes, not just kids' birthday cakes, I have been needing some roses & other flowers to put on top of some cakes. I hate making those! They're very detailed and I guess I'm just a little to clumsy to do a really nice job. But since there is no cake supply store here I have to make my own. So I took a few hours and a whole bag of the really sticky, thick icing that makes those stiff flowers and I made apple blossoms, roses and pansies. By the time I finished my arm was just about frozen in the bag-squeezing position! They don't look amazingly lifelike but I am pretty happy with how they turned out. Whew!
MY LATEST EPIPHANY:
I was reading something, somewhere - I think it was in an issue of The Lutheran magazine - about somebody telling a friend that she had put her wishbone where her backbone should be. It's made me sit up and take notice. I've always been more of a "wishbone" type person and here I am, almost 40 (at least that's what the math tells me) and I haven't done a whole lot other than dreaming and procrastinating. That little tidbit has made a huge difference in the little things in my life since I read it. Instead of thinking "I really oughtta..." I've been trying to "So DO it already." Hasn't made me change the world yet but it sure is making a nice difference in my life. It's definetly a keeper!
So, remember, put your backbone back!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you on the flowers
AND the backbone!! I love that idea!!

Thanks for the goodreads link too...will get on that. Right now Aron is curled up on the couch w/ stomach flu. No church for me today...Matt took Hannah instead.

Hope all is well with you all! Post photos of those lovely cakes sometime, ok?

heidy said...

hey Michelle!
kudos for the flowers! good for you for DOING IT!
I love the wishbone backbone thought. It sure does make you think....and we needn't change the world, only our families small part in it!
miss you!
heidy

Barb said...

Those flowers are hard to do. My mom made cakes for extra money when we lived in Germany and I remember her having a tough time with the flowers. Her cakes were always beautiful. She made me some of the most memorable cakes...I remember one was a house with a white pickett fence (made from a sugar mold) and one had a beautiful ballerina on it! Nice memories (o:

Anonymous said...

That's great advice...I should follow that....No I WILL follow that ! ;-)

I really envy your cake decorating ability. Hobby Lobby is offering Wilton cake decorating classes. If I can find some free-time (yeah right) I'd love to take one!

You should post photos of your cakes sometime. I'd love to see them!

God Bless,
Michelle W