Sunday, March 16, 2008

It's Sunday...guess what this post is about??

In church today an adult was baptized and a little girl was, also, whose parents became Christians only about 2 years ago. I was struck by the realization that most of the people in my church here have made a conscious choice to be Christians. Most did not grow up going to church with their parents or even the whole twice-a-year-Christmas -and-Easter thing. They own their faith in a way I think many in the U.S. don't. It is interesting how living here is making me claim my own faith, as well. It is not easy or cheap to get to a church sanctuary. Many of my friends are not believers, and those that are pose new questions or beliefs for me to sift through and weigh. I am forced here to be active about my faith, not passive. It would be easy to just put it all on hold until I return to the U.S. where it's easy and even expected I go to church.

Many U.S. Christians grow up going to church with Mom and Dad and just sort of assume it or take it for granted. That's what you do on Sundays. Many businesses close (though not as many as it used to be).
In China and Hong Kong, however, Sunday is just another opportunity for business. Everything is open on Sunday mornings. It would be very easy to choose not to go to church, to get shopping done or go out and do just about anything else. That's what a giant majority of the people do. It is just another business day.
But my church is packed full of people who are joyful and exuberant about their faith - it's fresh, new, chosen faith. When we sing, many people raise their arms in physical worship, along with their voices. It is a very inspiring place to be on Sundays. We make a joyful noise as well as a joyful picture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Interesting to think about how different it is there. Missing you guys here at Easter week!!

michelle said...

I know what you mean...People her really DO take it for granted too often.

I'm so happy that you have found a place "over there" where you can nurture your faith and fellowship with others!

God Bless,
Michelle