Wednesday, March 12, 2008

She's Crafty*

*Author's note: "She's Crafty" is a song by the Beastie Boys. It is not about knitting, decoupage-ing, sewing or scrapbooking... : O

I had my first knitting class today. I have started to knit a spa washcloth out of wonderfully soft cotton and bamboo yarn. I'm so excited! I've always wanted to be one of the crafty people! Can I be in the club now? Do I have the right to shop at the craft stores and look like I know what I'm doing?

We also had student-led conferences at the kids' school today. Each child took us through their classroom on a tour and showed us what they've been working on this year. They each read to us from a "just-right" book and showed us their portfolio. It was really impressive to hear from them how and what they're doing.


My hippie son got a buzz cut today. Now he looks like a serious rock star. Alex...dude. He looks much more like a boy now, too!

And I had Chinese class. I ran into my teacher grabbing a treat at Starbucks ("Shim-ba-ke" in Chinese) so we gave her a ride to my house and I tried to have a lesson with three kids and a husband milling about. Not especially productive, but it did give us quite a bit of conversation material!

4 comments:

heidy said...

Go Girl! Craft away, for both of us! I am one of those craft impaired people and I know I am beyond any hope! That said, I can't wait to see your finished product(s).
Looking at the picture you wouldn't even guess that this classroom is in China! Looks like any ol' class somewhere in the U.S.
Glad to see that your hubby made it back safely!
heidy

michelle said...

What a neat way to do a conference!
(By the way, he is adorable and YOU look great!!!)

Man...can you teach ME how to knit?!
(That's why I bought that loom thing. I'm taking the "cheater's" way out!);-)

Michelle

Anonymous said...

OOOH I'm so excited you are knitting!! We must escape to Starbucks this summer for some serious knitting/caffeinated time! Post pics of your spa washcloth! Yay you!!

Cool classroom and really cute Andrew! I want to see Alex's hair too!

Barb said...

I love knitting! I find it very relaxing and it's fun to create something with your very own hands. It had been so long ago that I had to get on the internet and relearn the basics. Can't wait to see your creation!

I love the picture...it brings back sweet memories for me. You all look WONDERFUL!!! Love your long hair (o: