Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Slacker Blogger

Man, am I lazy or what! I mean, is it really that hard to post a little something every now and then to let you know what's going on here? Maybe tell a little joke, say something dazzling or at least thought-provoking? Apparently, yes, it is very hard for me. Because I've been so busy. Doing what? I don't really know...
I have been doing cakes, of course. Last week I finally finished my big catering job. It started out with me providing 7 courses of desserts for an art and jewelry exhibit. Oh, I was so nervous I wasn't sleeping! Then we went down to 5 because we were doing it at a restaurant and the owner of the restaurant needed to do a couple, too, just to keep her products visible. Then somebody goofed on the menu so I went down to 4, which was very manageable. It turned out really great; I was pretty proud of myself for getting everything done and delivered and tasted and enjoyed. So, that had been taking up a lot of my time and attention. So glad it's over!
Later that week I filled one order for 120 cupcakes and did another cake the following day. This week I only have two normal-size orders to fill, so far.
We have officially passed the year mark (Feb. 18)...I supposed I should have blogged then, too. Ah, well, we were too busy celebrating that year of living in China...not really. I must say, that in the past year I've become more used to living waaaaaay over here, not driving or listening to the radio, not seeing my especially loved ones, and not watching U.S. t.v. (which is actually quite refreshing). I have become more fluent in Chinese to the point where I think I could survive outside of my little expat bubble. I have become much more used to and appreciative of Chinese culture, and I sure have learned a lot about Asian culture and the rest of the world. I have met many good friends from all over the place, and some super-good-soulmate-type friends from the U.S. I have dived more deeply into my faith since I have to really claim it here and sift and winnow it a bit, and also I have had to rely on it much more than I have in the past. I have come to really appreciate so many things we take for granted. I have come to appreciate and rely on my family even more than before (didn't think that was even possible). And I've certainly grown, opened up, and learned a thing or two about priorities and needs in life.
I've been playing trains and babies with Ella, who is a joy and a riot and is learning so quickly; and the Wii with my boys, who are also a joy and a riot and sometimes really crabby and sassy and sometimes so loving it makes my heart hurt. We have been playing "Boogie" which is a dance Wii game. It has a bunch of good old songs (like Jackson Five "ABC" and the so-tired "YMCA") which my boys have discovered...again and again and again...and again.
I've been reading like a woman obsessed...or at least really in need of a good learning experience/escape. I've just finished "Eat.Love.Pray" which I enjoyed and which opened me up even more for further exploration. Now I want to start meditating. I'm sure that will happen since I am so reliable with other things in my life, like my blog. And I've read "The Last Chinese Chef" which is a good read and teaches you a bit (just a bit) about Chinese culture and food and guanxi.
I've been reading my friends Meredith's and Michelle's blogs daily, usually thinking "Boy, that woman is clever. I sure wish I had a blog. A clever one, at least" and laughing and crying with them virtually, and appreciating their honesty, openness and updates.
I hope things are well with you...thanks for keeping up with us! Peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh so glad to see you are back!! What a great experience you are having. I cannot believe you've already been there a year!! I'm glad you are soaking in all that your current home has to offer. Although we miss you here, I love hearing about what your daily life is like.

I can just imagine the boys and that game!! We must get a wii!!

Have a great day and post pics of your heavenly creations when you can!!

heidy said...

Its akready been an entire year...wow! You have experienced so much in that year! Its amazing and sounds like its really been an incredible experience!
Please son't stop blogging, I so enjoy reading them and knowing what you guys are up to!
OUR KIDS SURE ARE GREAT, AREN'T THEY?
btw-my baby just turned 14 last weekend!

michelle said...

A whole year?!?! Wow!

Now see, I come to YOUR blog when I need inspiration. I feel like my life is just plain old boring day in and day out stuff - but YOU, on the other hand are amazing!

I don't think I could be transplanted to the other side of the world, learn a whole new language, AND start my own business! You are awesome!!!

Michelle